Route 29 Tunnel Project
Trenton, Mercer County
The construction on this project has been completed.
The opening of the new stretch of Route 29 will result in different local traffic patterns in the area. These include:
- Lamberton Street will become a one-way street NORTHBOUND between Lalor and Landing Streets.
- A new ramp from Lamberton Street northbound, adjacent to the former Champale site, will be opened to allow local traffic to enter Route 29 northbound.
- Traffic from Cass Street will be able to go south on Lamberton Street for one block and then must turn left at Landing Street.
- Cass Street will be re-striped to its original configuration with one lane in each direction and on-street parking.
- The left turn from Route 129 northbound on to Cass Street will be reduced to a single lane turn slot from the current two-lane turn slot.
- All traffic moving westbound on Lalor Street must turn right on to Lamberton Street.
- A new off-ramp at the southern end of the new Route 29 highway going southbound will allow traffic to access the marine terminal area.
- The existing on-ramp to Route 29 southbound only, from the marine terminal area, will remain open.
- A new off-ramp from Route 29 southbound to Lalor Street will allow local traffic to access local South Trenton streets.
To and from the Trenton South Ward area:
To and from Riverview Plaza:
- Lamberton Street will be a one-way street northbound between Lalor and Landing Streets. Traveling west on Lalor from Route 129, you must turn right at Lamberton Street, toward Cass Street. Lamberton will remain a two way street north of Landing Street.
- At Lalor Street, you may get on Route 29 northbound by entering the tunnel after turning on to Lamberton Street. To go south on Route 29 from Lalor Street, enter the tunnel, turn left at the Cass Street signal and left again at the southbound Route 29 signal in front of the staduim.
- From Route 29 southbound leaving the Capital District, you can exit Route 29 at the new Lalor Street exit inside the tunnel.
To and From the Trenton Thunder Stadium:
- To enter Riverview Plaza from points south of Trenton, stay on Route 29 past the Route 129 exit. Proceed through the tunnel, and the first intersection will be Cass Street. Turn left on to Cass Street and into Riverview Plaza or proceed to Warren Street and enter at the KatManDu Restaurant.
- Leaving Riverview Plaza, exit at Cass Street near the stadium. At the traffic signal in front of the staduim, turn right on to southbound Route 29 (into the tunnel) to points south, or proceed up Cass Street and turn left at the second traffic signal on to northbound Route 29.
- Access to and from the south lot will be from the new southbound Route 29 only. To get to the south lot from points south of Trenton, take Route 29 to Cass Street. Turn left at Cass Street, then left again in front of the stadium on to southbound Route 29 where you can enter the lot.
- Leaving the south lot, you must turn right onto southbound Route 29 (into the turnnel). If going north, take the Lalor Street exit, loop up and over the tunnel and turn left again on to the northbound Route 29 on-ramp at the traffic signal , which will put you back into the tunnel.