Route 35 Cooper's Bridge Replacement Project
Linking Technology and Tradition for Two Monmouth County Communities
Below are the accomplishments by each arm of the task force.
Congestion Relief Task Force
- developed optional travel routes for motorists.
- determined location of Variable Message Signs to notify motorists of bridge conditions.
- established Traffic Operations local radio frequency to broadcast bridge conditions to motorists.
- examined Garden State Parkway usage for trucks and motorists.
- conducted meetings with major employers to discuss flex time, car pooling and shuttles.
- examined use of Normandy Road.
Communication Network Task Force
- created weekly FAX to notify community leaders of construction activities.
- established project information lines at the NJDOT construction office and each municipal office.
- identified issues and provided communication and connection to other Task Forces.
Traffic Control Task Force
- created signage to improve local traffic flow local around the bridge construction area.
- determined traffic signaling in the area to maximize safe traffic flow and minimize delay.
- reviewed EMS protocol with Riverview Hospital, the Monmouth County Association of First Aid Squads representative and with other local EMS
- developed a traffic control plan with state and local police coordination during the lane reduction.
- established towing contracts to effectively remove any vehicles which may cause traffic impacts.
- coordinated signal and intersection work to minimize traffic impacts in area of the bridge.
- met with local Bridge Street property owners to determine traffic flow options during lane reduction.
Public Information/Awareness Task Force
- held a press conference with both Mayors to inform communities of bridge replacement project.
- created display boards of bridge renderings for use at each municipal hall.
- created Connections Newsletter to present bridge information and answer project questions.
- determined distribution locations and organizations for the newsletter and future materials.
- compiled list of special events and potential impact due to bridge replacement activities.
- developed web site to inform motorists and general public about the project.
- created "Guide to Getting Around during Construction of the Route 35 Bridge."