An analysis of the Route 3, Route 46, Valley Road and Notch/Rifle Camp Road Interchange Improvements Project was completed to determine ways of phasing the proposed improvements into smaller, independent construction contracts. Consideration was given to utility relocation needs and the prioritization of improvements. This resulted in the identification of two independent construction phases - Contract A and Contract B.
Major water mains, Great Notch Road, Clove Road and Notch Road:
Contract A includes the relocation of major City of Newark and Passaic Valley Water Commission water mains along the north side of Route 46 and the construction of the new Two-Way Service Road (Great Notch Road), a new bridge over Route 46 at Clove Road overpass and reconstruction of the existing Notch Road Bridge. These improvements will serve the surrounding communities by improving connectivity between local and county roads resulting in the removal of local traffic from Route 46.
The Contract A plan, referred to as the Proposed Improvements Plan - Contract A, considers the geometric continuity between existing and proposed roadways, and the benefits such improvements would have on facilitating mainline construction during the construction of Contract B.
The following work is proposed for Contract A:
- Relocation of approximately 4,600 linear feet of water main ranging in size from 16-inch diameter to 52-inch diameter;
- Replacement of the Notch Road Bridge superstructure, including substructure modifications (removal of center pier);
- Reconstruction of Notch Road and a partial reconstruction of Ramp D (Notch Road entrance ramp to Route 46 eastbound);
- Construction of the new Notch Road/Lackawanna Avenue/Rifle Camp Road roundabout and the reconstruction of both Lackawanna Avenue and Rifle Camp Road;
- Full length construction of the proposed Two-Way Service Road (Valley Road to Notch Road/Lackawanna Avenue/Rifle Camp Road roundabout), including the reconstruction of existing driveways and two permanent signalized intersections (Clove Road and Route 46 westbound exit ramp);
- Construction of the new Route 46 westbound entrance ramp from proposed Great Notch Road, along with the widening of Route 46 westbound for the required acceleration lane;
- Construction of the new Clove Road Bridge over Route 46, new Clove Road entrance/exit ramps and the proposed Clove Road roundabout;
- Construction of the new Route 46 westbound exit ramp to the new Two-Way Service Road with a transition to meet the existing Route 46 westbound roadway (alignment and profile);
- Construction of an interim intersection configuration for the Valley Road/Two-Way Service Road intersection with a traffic signal;
- Construction of two Third River culverts, eight retaining walls and the proposed Four Seasons at Great Notch noise wall;
- Construction of associated drainage facilities (inlets, pipes, outfalls etc.) including drain water management basins; and,
- Construction of new underground utilities (minor water mains, gas mains, telephone and cable conduits) by State's contractor with aerial facilities by individual utility companies.
Route 46/Route 3 mainline and Valley Road improvements:
Contract B involves the completion of all remaining construction items needed to implement the fully scoped improvements for the Route 3, Route 46, Valley Road and Notch/Rifle Camp Road Interchange Improvements Project.
The following work is proposed for Contract B:
- Widening of Route 46 eastbound for an auxiliary lane and acceleration/deceleration lanes from Notch Road to Valley Road;
- Widening of Route 46 westbound for an auxiliary lane between Rock Hill Road and Valley Road;
- Improvements of the Route 46/Route 3/Valley Road Interchange including the reconstruction and reconfiguration of the ramps, a new traffic signal on Valley Road and a new multi-lane urban roundabout at the intersection of Valley Road, Great Notch Road and the new Route 3 exit ramp;
- Replacement of the Route 46 Bridge over Valley Road to provide auxiliary lanes at the Route 46 and Route 3 connection;
- Replacement of three bridges at the Route 46 and Route 3 interchange for the reconfiguration of ramps to meet current standards;
- Replacement of the existing superstructure for the Route 46 Bridge over Lower Notch Road;
- Construction of one Third River culvert and the extension of two existing culverts, 11 retaining walls, four noise walls and 13 sign support structures;
- Construction of associated drainage facilities (inlets, pipes, outfalls etc.) and including two storm water management basins and subsurface detention systems; and,
- Construction of new underground utilities (major and minor water mains, gas mains, electric, telephone and cable conduits) by State's contractor with aerial facilities by individual utility companies.