Thank you for visiting the Division of Taxation web site and reviewing our Privacy Notice. The New Jersey Division of Taxation is committed to protecting the privacy of New Jersey's taxpayers. This notice covers the following topics:
Information Collected and How it is Used
If you browse this web site, read pages, or download information such as forms, publications or press releases, we collect and store certain information about your visit. This information does not identify you personally. The following information about your visit is automatically collected and stored:
- The Internet domain (for example, "xcompany.com" if you use a private Internet access account, or "yourschool.edu" if you connect from a university's domain) and IP address (an IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to your computer whenever you are surfing the Web) from which you access our web site;
- The type of browser and operating system used to access our site;
- The date and time you access our site;
- The pages you visit within our site; and
- If you linked to the Division web site from another web site, the address of that web site.
We use this information for statistical purposes to help us understand how visitors are using our services and to improve the content of our web site. For example, by tracking how many people visit the web site, when they visit, and the pages they visit, we can better determine the kind of information visitors want and need. And by tracking visitor software such as the browsers they are using, we can avoid using features that visitors cannot view or use. This information is not stored with your tax account information and is not part of your tax records.
If you log on to one of our interactive services that require you to enter personal information, the personal information that you submit to us is captured to enable you to conduct business with the New Jersey Division of Taxation, such as filing or paying taxes, and accessing your account history.
If during your visit to our web site you voluntarily send personal information, the information will be collected and stored. Examples of personal information include:
- An e-mail address if you are communicating to us through e-mail;
- Information you submit to us for the purposes of completing or submitting an application or form, or request for forms, online;
- Information volunteered in response to a survey.
The Division uses your e-mail to respond directly to you to address issues you identify in your e-mail. Survey information is used to improve Division services to you. Information from online forms is used for the purposes requested.
The Division of Taxation has taken steps to safeguard the submission of information and prevent unauthorized access to information maintained. These security measures are designed to prevent corruption of data, to block unknown or unauthorized access to our systems and information, and to provide reasonable protection of private information.
In certain instances, you will have the opportunity to receive or create a password or PIN number to access or submit personal information. You should not divulge the password or PIN number to anyone (unless you are authorizing that person to access your account information, for example, your accountant or tax preparer) and the Division will never ask you for the password or PIN number in an unsolicited phone call or e-mail. When you are finished with those applications which are password or PIN protected, you should exit the page.
Public Access to Information
The Division of Taxation is required by N.J.S.A.
54:50-8 to treat all records and files as confidential information. Any information acquired by the Division, including information collected electronically on this website, is subject to the provisions of N.J.S.A.
54:50-8. The Division does not share information with any other agency except as required by N.J.S.A.
for tax related issues or concerns.