Schedule: Full-time (Exempt). Generally a 35-hour work week beginning by 9 a.m. However, as an exempt employee the incumbent is expected to work the hours necessary to accomplish the goals and objectives of this position. This may include working evenings and weekends as necessary and will require being on-call to supervise the branch operations of the Ocean County Library System. The Ocean County Library System serves the public seven days a week and operating hours are Monday through Thursday, 9 a.m. - 9 p.m.; Friday and Saturday, 9 a.m. through 5 p.m. The Toms River Branch, Lakewood Branch, and Stafford Branch are open on Sundays, 1 p.m. through 5p.m. (closed in the summer from Memorial Day through Labor Day).
Assistant Director for Operations Services
Library Director (as a member of the Library's Management Team)
May oversee and supervise work performed by operations staff
Management Team Member. As a member of the Library's Management Team with the primary duty of serving as the Chief Librarian for Administration, the incumbent will support the operations of the Ocean County Library (OCL) System by managing a) areas of general business administration as assigned; b) knowledge management initiatives and processes; c) editorial consistency in published documents and records; and d) integration of cross functionality between the Collections and Technology Departments. In addition, the Chief Librarian will undertake management reviews and conduct analytical studies of organizational and program effectiveness, to include proposals for policy and organizational changes to administrative and professional operations which will enhance the Library's ability to execute its core mission most effectively and cost efficiently. In this capacity, the Chief Librarian will fulfill the following duties and responsibilities:
- Exercises discretion and independent judgment with respect to matters of significance regarding administration, and the Ocean County Library.
- Champions and supports the Library's diversity initiative to ensure a welcoming and inclusive environment for library customers and staff through training, activities, services, programs, and recruitment.
- Remains poised, diplomatic, and professional at all times even when under pressure or in demanding situations.
- Excellent communication skills are required, including written, verbal, and oral presentation, to be applied in interpersonal and customer service situations in order to convey information and establish rapport with library customers, staff, colleagues, municipal and county government officials, and community organization partners. The incumbent will be required to speak in public and must be comfortable in the role of spokesperson for the Library when called on to do so.
- Approves the payment of monthly bills as necessary when delegated to do so for the operation of the Library System.
- Lead operations in the absence of the Assistant Director, Operations Services.
- May be required to serve as the person in-charge of the day-to-day operations of the library system in the absence of the Library Director, Assistant Director of Public Services and Assistant Director of Operations.
- Serve as advisor to the Library Director and will be responsible for assignments and special projects as delegated by the Library Director.
- Attend meetings including: Management Team (bi-weekly), Pre-Commission (monthly), Library Commission (monthly), Assistant Director, Operations Services (weekly) and Library Director (bi-monthly).
- Serves as the Management Team liaison to various Ocean County Library committees, project teams, and task forces.
Examples of Work
Business Administration. Manages business administration information flow by creating, reviewing, analyzing, and contributing to various financial and business reports; summarizing information; creating new reports; and identifying trends.
Bill signing and line item monitoring. Signs and approves vouchers for payment for various operational expenses, including but not limited to professional expenses; tuition reimbursement; administrative services; equipment; maintenance of buildings and grounds; maintenance equipment; vehicle maintenance; utilities; fringe benefits; supplies; and the per diem librarian program.
Knowledge Management and Editorial Consistency.
Works closely with Technology Manager to design filing and taxonomy systems; defines procedures and develops standards for retention, protection, retrieval, transfer, and disposal of records and documents.
Creates depository and finding aids for various records associated with regulatory and administrative compliance, as directed by New Jersey statutes and regulations and the Ocean County Library Commission.
Coordinates with technology staff to identifying information objects and documents appropriate for Microsoft SharePoint; assists in developing procedures for employee use of SharePoint; serves as advisor with regard to staff training on SharePoint.
Ensures documents entered into SharePoint meet standards of quality and consistency.
Ensures editorial excellence and effective distribution to targeted recipients for recurring publications such as Staff Announcements Report and Connect Newsletter.
Collections and Technology
Applies knowledge of collections and technology functions to provide guidance and evaluate success of application of technology hardware and software to improve the Library's ability to forecast emerging trends in collections acquisition and to manage, integrate, and maintain cross platform collection assets in new and innovative ways.
Oversees and evaluates the effectiveness of work methods associated with the acquisition, cataloging, classifying, and processing of library materials.
In concert with the Collections Department Head, analyzes and coordinates the department's budget estimates and controls expenditures in compliance with approved budget.
Plans and conducts staff meetings and participates in community professional meetings to discuss and act on OCL problems.
Supervises development and implementation of information programs concerning the activities and objectives of supervised units.
Establishes and maintains records and files.
Assigns tasks to subordinate employees and evaluates performance.
Determines and allocates resources directly or indirectly supervised to accomplish work assignments; identifies and requests support of other employee assets when needed for cross functional projects.
Establishes and maintains cooperative work relationships with other libraries and community agencies and partners.
As required, learns how to use various types of electronic and or manual recording and information systems used by the OCL or related units.
Education. A Master's degree in Library or Information Science in a library program accredited by the American Library Association or from a New Jersey College Master's Program in Library Science that has been deemed acceptable by Thomas Edison State College.
Experience. Four years of professional librarian experience in providing general library services, one year of which shall have been in a supervisory capacity.
A valid New Jersey license as a Professional Librarian.
- Include the announcement number P-310-13-13 on all correspondence.
- Applications submitted for consideration will be reviewed for qualifications and eligibility determination every two weeks. Ineligible or unqualified candidates will be notified upon determination.
- The application materials provided by eligible candidates will be referred to the head of the interview panel, who will determine who will be interviewed based on the quality of the application materials and the education and experience of the candidate.
- All candidates who are screened to be interviewed will also be required to give a ten to fifteen minute presentation.
INTERESTED CANDIDATES IN STATE, COUNTY OR MUNICIPAL GOV'T SHOULD FORWARD A COVER LETTER AND RESUME TO:
Jennifer Doderer, Training Coordinator
Ocean County Library
101 Washington Street
Toms River, NJ 08753