Important Questions About Quality You Should Consider
What do you know about the quality of New Jersey HMOs?
This report provides information about how:
- members rated their HMOs and doctors
- easily members got the care they needed
- well HMOs provided preventive care, such as immunizations and mammograms, to help members stay healthy
- well HMOs cared for members who are ill, such as managing the cholesterol level of people with heart conditions
Why is the quality of health care important?
Not all HMOs are the same. HMOs differ in how well they keep members healthy and care for them when they become sick. That’s why learning about health care quality is important.
- If you are a consumer, the quality of care provided by your HMO may influence your health and your family’s health.
- If you are an employer, the quality of care provided by your HMO may influence absenteeism, employee productivity and your company’s health care cost.
What should you consider when choosing your HMO?
You can use this report, along with cost and benefit information available from your employer or the HMO, to choose the best HMO for you.
When choosing an HMO, consider:
- Whether your doctor or health care provider is available in the HMO’s network
- Whether the HMO offer the benefits you want
- How much the HMO will cost you (look at both monthly premiums and out of pocket expenses, such as co-payments, coinsurances and deductibles)
- How well the HMO performs in areas most important to you