Get FREE Tax Help!
File a Tax Return to Claim the Tax Benefit You Earned!
The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is a special federal and state tax benefit for individuals and families who earn low-to moderate incomes in NJ. It is a tax credit that may reduce the amount of taxes you owe, or provide you with a refund, even if you don’t owe any taxes.
To get the NJ state EITC, you must file a federal tax form, be eligible for the federal EITC and file a state income tax return (if you are married but file separately, you may not claim the NJ EITC).
Watch the EITC PSAs "Moneygami" - HERE!
2013 EITC "Fact Sheet" flyer - Eng/Sp. - PDF
2013 EITC "Want More of This?" flyer - Eng/Sp. - PDF
You May Be Eligible
If you worked full- or part-time or you were self-employed in 2013,
you may qualify.
To qualify, your earned income and adjusted gross income (AGI) must be less than:
• $46,227 ($51,567 if married and filing jointly) with three or more qualifying
• $43,038 ($48,378 if married and filing jointly) with two qualifying children;
• $37,870 ($43,210 if married and filing jointly) with one qualifying child;
• $14,340 ($19,680 if married and filing jointly) with no qualifying children
For the 2013 Tax year, you could receive a maximum federal credit of:
• $6,044 with three or more qualifying children;
• $5,372 with two qualifying children;
• $3,250 with one qualifying child;
• $487 with no qualifying children.
And a maximum NJ state credit of:
• $1,208 with three or more qualifying children;
• $1,074 with two qualifying children;
• $650 with one qualifying child;
• $97 with no qualifying children.
(Investment income must be $3,300 or less for the year.)
You can find out if you are eligible and get an estimate of your credit by visiting the Internal Revenue Services (IRS) EITC Assistant.
Free assistance in the preparation and filing of your federal and state Income Tax Returns is available at local Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites. For a location near you, call NJ’s Hotline 2-1-1 or visit www.nj211.org or visit the IRS Vita Site Locator Tool.