The MVC issues licenses to all driving school instructors and agents. The instructor's license is only for use in connection with lessons authorized by a licensed driving
How to get a driving school instructor license
- You must be at least 21 years old and possess a valid driver license with a minimum of four years driving experience.
- You must submit to a criminal history record check.
- Download the application for Authorized
Agent [pdf] or Initial Driving School
Instructors License [pdf], complete and mail to:
New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission
Business Licensing Services Bureau
Driving School Unit
P.O. Box 170
225 East State Street
Trenton, NJ 08666-0170
- All applicants are required to complete special testing of law-knowledge, driving tests and visual screening acuity. In addition, applicants may be required to submit proof of instructor qualifications.
Requirements after you become a licensed instructor
- You must have your licenses at all times during teaching sessions.
- If you were licensed after July 1, 1984, you are required to complete either the six or eight-hour National Safety Defensive Driving Program. Evidence of completion of this program shall be filed with the MVC.
- You must remain in the vehicle used for testing (except a motorcycle) at all times during which a student is behind the wheel for instruction and the keys are in the ignition.
- An instructor cannot validate a student learner's permit unless the student has completed the required six hours of behind-the-wheel instruction and the permit has been properly endorsed by an authorized person from the licensed
Authorized agent requirements
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age with good moral character, a valid driver license and a driving record devoid of offenses detailed in N.J.S.A 39:4-50, 39:4-50.2 and/or 39:4-49.1.
- Once licensed, an authorized agent may transport the students to a New Jersey Driver Testing Center to take the road test or to purchase a permit.
- An authorized agent is not authorized to instruct a driving student, whether it be behind the wheel or in a classroom.
Driving School Supplies
All licensed driving schools must submit their supply orders by completing this form. Please email or fax it to the Business Licensing Unit at email@example.com.