Department of Transportation


Before performing any type of work on New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) Right-of-Ways, including excavation or demolition, you must first obtain permission or appropriate authorization from NJDOT.

NJDOT is not part of New Jersey's One-Call Damage Prevention System, which is maintained by New Jersey utility companies in in response to the Underground Facility Protection Act (N.J.S.A. 48:2-73 et seq.). Calls to 1-800-272-1000 are not sufficient to cover work within NJDOT Right-of-Ways.

Depending on the type of work to be performed, you may be required to first apply for a permit to perform a specific type of work. Check with Regional Services Permits for permits required. You may download permit applications from this page. If the activity requires any roadway closures, you must first request permission to close lanes or shoulders. Contact Regional Services Highway Closings.

NJDOT Contractors

Contractors working under a contract for NJDOT should refer to the work specifications for that contract.

Fiber Optic Cable Markout Requests

All persons performing work must first check for existing Fiber Optic and Conduit installations in the vicinity of work. Field markouts of the NJDOT underground fiber optic network are required prior to any work in the vicinity of those facilities.
More information about Fiber Optic Markout Requests

Highway Access Permit Application Forms
For Highway Access download the following forms:
Wireless Telecommunication Licenses

More information about wireless telecommunication licenses

Other Infrastructures
Before performing any work within NJDOT Right-of-Way areas, please contact NJDOT about anti-icing systems, traffic counting devices, weather stations, and weigh-in-motion systems.

Last updated date: October 24, 2019 8:55 AM