Contract A improvements will be constructed in three stages:
- Stage 1 (Stages 1A and 1B)
Replace existing City of Newark and Passaic Valley Water Commission water mains on the north side of Route 46. Construct proposed Great Notch Road, and the new Route 46 westbound entrance/exit ramps and associated acceleration/deceleration lanes using allowable lane closure hours (maintain all lanes of traffic during daytime working hours). Reconstruct the east half of the existing Notch/Rifle Camp Bridge superstructure, and the Route 46 north side of the eastbound entrance ramp. Construct new interchange ramps at Clove Road, relocate the existing NJ TRANSIT detention basin, and construct the Clove Road Bridge north abutment.
- Stage 2
Construct the west half of the existing Notch/Rifle Camp Road Bridge superstructure and the south side of the Route 46 eastbound entrance ramp. Remove existing Route 46 westbound entrance/exit ramps and open proposed ramps to traffic. Construct the Notch/Rifle Camp Road roundabout. Remove existing Clove Road and open new ramps to traffic. Complete construction of proposed Clove Road and the new Clove Road Bridge. Complete construction of the new signalized intersection on Valley Road.
- Stage 3
Construct concrete islands on Notch / Rifle Camp Road, and complete construction of relocated Rifle Camp Road. Complete construction at the Clove Road roundabout, and remove the existing ramp at Valley Road. Open the relocated Clove Road and the new Clove Road Bridge. Activate all new traffic signals.
For each construction stage, Maintenance and Protection of Traffic (MPT) strategies have been developed to accommodate the required construction operations and to manage work zone effects on transportation and transportation-dependent services and facilities. Motorists can expect the following during construction:
- Route 3 and Route 46 will remain open at all times. The existing ramps will be open throughout the duration of the project except for short duration evening closures. However, traffic flow may be impacted by reduced lane widths, changing traffic patterns and the presence of the nearby construction activities.
- Temporary lane closures will be subject to the Project’s Allowable Lane Closure Schedule, which identifies how many lanes must be maintained at certain times of the day, and day of week. In general, all lanes and shoulders must be remain open during the morning peak and evening peak periods.
- Temporary detours for ramp closures will occur during overnight hours when traffic volumes are less. The volume of traffic traveling the detour route will therefore not impact traffic operations.
- With the exception of Lackawanna Avenue, all local roadways will remain open to two-way traffic during construction resulting in minimal impacts to traffic operations. On Lackawanna Avenue, a one-way traffic pattern will be implemented during Stage 1 and will continue through Stage 2. The one-way pattern will only allow motorists to travel north through the construction zone. Southbound vehicles will be redirected along a signed detour route to use Lower Notch Road for access to Route 46 or Notch Road.
Like Contract A, MPT strategies will be developed for Contract B to accommodate the required construction operations and to manage work zone effects on transportation and transportation-dependent services and facilities. Contract B is still in the Final Design Phase. Staging information is therefore not available at this time.