Voluntary Disclosure Program
The New Jersey Voluntary Disclosure Program allows Individual and Business taxpayers that have tax filing obligations or business activities that create nexus for New Jersey Tax purposes to come forward and file the appropriate tax return(s), registration forms and pay outstanding tax obligations.
Benefits of Voluntary Disclosure
- Anonymity pending an agreement;
- Possible waiver of some or all penalties;
- Limit the look-back period for Business only. For returns filed annually, the look-back is four years (three prior years plus present year). For returns filed quarterly (Sales and Use Tax and Employees Withholding Tax), the look-back is four years (16 quarters);
- Eliminates the risk of being discovered under audit. If you do not come forward through a Voluntary Disclosure Agreement, and you are contacted as part of a nexus investigation, you could be subject to unlimited look-back years.
Qualifications for the Program
- No previous contact with the taxpayer by the Division or any of its agents;
- Not registered but willing to register for the specific tax for which you wish to come forward;
- Not currently under any criminal investigation;
- Willing to file requested returns and pay outstanding tax liabilities within the established timeframe.