NJDOT to resurface I-280 in Essex County
(Trenton)- New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) Commissioner Kris Kolluri today announced an upcoming project to resurface Interstate 280 in East Orange, Livingston, Newark, Orange and West Orange in Essex County.
“NJDOT’s I-280 improvement project will improve roadway quality and safety on this high-volume section of I-280, which is currently compromised by potholes and poor pavement quality,” noted Governor Jon S. Corzine.
NJDOT’s $21.6 million I-280 resurfacing project will extend the life of the concrete pavement by 12 to 15 years. NJDOT will replace over 35,000 square feet of deteriorated concrete pavement and resurface I-280 with a rubberized-asphalt that will provide a smoother driving surface and help reduce noise on the roadway. The bridge decks within the project will be repaired and resurfaced. NJDOT will also repave the entrance and exit ramps and shoulders. The project is scheduled for completion in March 2010.
On Monday night, August 4, overnight single and double lane closures will begin on Route 280 eastbound and westbound between mileposts 6.20 and 14.26. The following lane closure hours are scheduled:
- In the two-lane sections of I-280, single-lane closures may take place Monday through Thursday from 10 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. On the weekends, from Fridays through Sunday, single-lane closures may be necessary from 10 p.m. to 8 a.m.
- In the three lane sections of I-280, single-lane closures may take place on Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. From Friday through Sunday single-lane closures are allowed from 7 p.m. to 10 a.m.
- In the two to three lane sections of I-280, double-lane closures may take place Monday through Thursday from 10 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. From Friday through Sunday, double-lane closures are allowed from 10 p.m. to 8 a.m.
- In the four to five lane sections of I-280, single-lane closures are allowed overnights on Monday through Thursday from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m. From Friday through Sunday, single-lane closures are scheduled from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- In the four to five lane sections of I-280, double-lane closures may take place on Monday through Thursday from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. From Friday through Sunday double-lane closures are planned from 11 p.m. to 8 a.m.
- Ramp closures with detours may take place Monday through Thursday from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. On Friday through Sunday nights, ramp closures may be required from 10 p.m. to 8 a.m.
NJDOT has installed Variable Message Signs and traffic cameras on I-280 to inform motorists of traffic pattern changes during construction. Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT’s traffic information website, www.511nj.org for updates.