NJDOT awards grants to preserve historic county bridges
(Trenton)-- Commissioner Kris Kolluri today announced that the New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) awarded $588,000 in grants to Cape May, Hunterdon, Monmouth and Warren counties in order to preserve their historic bridges.
“The Historic Bridge Preservation Program grants will provide counties resources to preserve the integrity and safety of these historic bridges, thereby ensuring their use by future generations of New Jerseyans,” said Commissioner Kolluri.
The Historic Bridge Preservation Program grants will fund rehabilitation work to prolong the lifespan of historic bridges which are not located on the state highway system. Each bridge in the program is eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. The counties will be responsible for the design and construction of their projects. NJDOT will provide funding and technical assistance as needed.
The Historic Bridge Preservation Program is a state-funded program designed to help prolong the lifespan of New Jersey’s historic bridges through minor repair and maintenance.
The Fiscal Year 2007 Historic Bridge Preservation Program awardees are as follows:
• Ocean Drive Bridge over Great Channel, Stone Harbor Borough and Middle Township, Cape May County, $71,300.
• County Bridge H-64-W over the Musconetcong River, Holland Pohatcong Township, Hunterdon County and Pohatcong Township, Warren County, $200,000.
• County Bridge W-9 over Glimmer Glass, Manasquan and Brielle Boroughs, Monmouth County, $42,000.
• County Bridge S-31 over the Navesink River, Middletown and Rumson Boroughs, Monmouth County, $135,000.
• Truss bridge bearings and chords, various county bridges, Hunterdon County, $140,000.
More information on the NJDOT survey of historic bridges can be found on the NJDOT website http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/works/environment/HistBrIntro.shtm.
More information on the Historic Bridge Preservation Program can be found at http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/capital/tcp08/sec3/pli.pdf.