County Route 527 Bridge over the D&R Canal in South Bound Brook to be closed overnight to complete deck grate repairs
Traffic to be detoured weeknights for several weeks while repairs are made
(Trenton) - New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) officials today announced the County Route 527 Queens Bridge that crosses the Delaware & Raritan Canal in South Bound Brook will be closed weeknights in December to complete repairs to the deck grating. This work is the final piece of the permanent repairs to the superstructure completed this fall.
Beginning Monday, December 4 from 10 p.m. until 5 a.m. the next morning and continuing weeknights (Monday through Friday) for about three weeks, NJDOT’s contractor Mount Construction, will close the County Route 527 bridges over the D&R Canal and Raritan River to make repairs to the deck grating. The following detour will be in place:
CR527/Main Street northbound detour:
- Traffic on CR527/Main Street in South Bound Brook will be directed to turn left onto Canal Road
- Turn left onto I-287 north to Exit 13A for Route 28 east/Bound Brook
- Follow Route 28 east to CR 527/Mountain Avenue
CR527/Main Street southbound detour:
- Traffic on CR527/Main Street and Lincoln Boulevard in Bound Brook will be directed to turn north on CR 527/Mountain Avenue
- Turn left onto Route 28 west to I-287 south to Exit 12 for Canal Road
- Turn right onto Canal Road east to CR 527/Main Street in South Bound Brook
CR 527 carries traffic between South Bound Brook and Bound Brook over two separate bridges – one spans the D&R Canal and the other the crosses the Raritan River. The bridges have one lane in each direction. Only the bridge over the canal, which is approximately 90 feet in length, needs to be repaired.
The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weather or other factors. Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT’s traffic information website www.511nj.org for construction updates and real-time travel information and for NJDOT news follow us on Twitter @NJDOT_info.