Route 1&9 Truck north to be closed this weekend for repairs to the bridge over the Passaic River between Newark and Kearny
Traffic to be detoured while structural repairs are made
(Trenton) - New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) officials today announced the closure of Route 1&9 Truck north between Newark and Kearny this weekend to continue repairs to the bridge across the Passaic River. Motorists can expect congestion and are advised to avoid the area.
Beginning at 10 p.m. tonight, Friday, August 23 until 5 a.m. Monday, August 26, NJDOT’s contractor IEW Construction Group, Inc., will close Route 1&9 Truck northbound between Doremus Avenue in Newark and Central Avenue in Kearny for repairs to three expansion joints on the bridge across the Passaic River. NJ Transit Bus Routes 1, 67, and 319 will be detoured. For more information see NJ Transit’s advisory. The following detours will be in place:
Route 1&9 Truck northbound from Newark detour:
- Traffic on Raymond Boulevard eastbound or taking the exit from Route 1&9 north in Newark to Route 1&9 Truck north will be directed to the ramp to Doremus Avenue
- Turn left onto Doremus Avenue north
- Stay in the right lane and follow signs for Route 1&9 Truck South/Raymond Boulevard
- Stay to the right for Raymond Boulevard
- Follow Raymond Boulevard to Route 21 north/McCarter Highway
- Turn right on Route 21 north/McCarter Highway
- Turn right on Bridge Street, which becomes Harrison Avenue after crossing the Passaic River
- Take the ramp to I-280 east
- Take Exit 17A toward Jersey City for CR508 east/Newark-Jersey City Turnpike, which become Route 7
- Take Route 7 east across the Wittpenn Bridge
- Stay in the right lane
- Turn right at the traffic signal onto Route 1&9 Truck south
The work is part of a project that will replace three deteriorated expansion joints – two east of the lift portion of the bridge over the Passaic River and one west of the lift portion of the bridge. The project will require between eight and 10 closures between now and the completion of the project, which is expected by the end of spring 2020. Last weekend, Route 1&9 Truck south was closed for work on the expansion joints.
The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weather or other factors. Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT’s traffic information website www.511nj.org for construction updates and real-time travel information. For NJDOT news follow us on Twitter @NJDOT_info and our Facebook page
Please note, the NJDOT Communications Office has a new phone number – 609-963-1975.