The proposed bridge will eliminate the following substandard conditions:
- structural deficiencies,
- lane width less than 12 feet,
- lack of shoulders and median barriers,
- poor skid resistance on open grate deck,
- outmoded bridge railings,
- non-compliance of seismic design and vessel collision,
- low scour resistance,
- lack of connected multi-use/bicycle trails,
- lack of pedestrian crossings, and
- potential for crossover accidents.
The proposed fixed bridge will eliminate the conflict between highway traffic and marine traffic, as well as the delays caused by bridge openings. Other community enhancements including two pedestrian bridges, a new toll plaza and improvements to South Bay Avenue Park have been incorporated into this project.
The proposed Route 36 Highlands Bridge spans the Shrewsbury River.