Submitting Government Records Requests:
Under the provisions of New Jersey's Open Public Records Act (OPRA), the public has the right to examine or obtain copies of public records, including those maintained by the Pinelands Commission. Please note that it is not necessary to submit an OPRA request to review an application file or other documents. To request a file review, please contact the Commission at (609) 894-7300.
To review or obtain Pinelands Commission records, the public can either:
Important Information about Government Records Requests:
- The Pinelands Commission will not accept the submission of a Government Records Request via telephone.
- Under State Law, the Pinelands Commission must notify you that it grants or denies a request for access to government records within seven business days after the custodian of the record requested receives the request, provided that the record is currently available and not in storage or archived. If the record requested is not currently available or is in storage or archived, the custodian will advise you within seven business days when the record can be made available and the estimated cost. You may agree with the custodian to extend the time for granting or denying your request or making records available. The time frame to fulfill a request for access to government records under the Open Public Records Act does not begin until the request form or equivalent written request has been delivered to the appropriate records custodian.
- By State Law, a custodian must deny access to a person who is convicted of an indictable offense in New Jersey, any other state, or the United States, who is seeking government records containing personal information pertaining to the person's victim or the victim's family.
- You may be denied access to a government record if your request would substantially disrupt agency operations and the custodian is unable to reach a reasonable solution with you.
- The fees for duplicating government records in printed form are as follows:
- $0.05 per page for letter sized pages (8.5 X 11) or smaller
- $0.07 per page for legal sized pages (8.5 X 14) or larger
Note: Actual costs apply for providing records in another medium (ie., computer disc, CD-ROM, DVD).
Delivery: Delivery/postage fees additional depending upon delivery type
We will notify you of any special charges, special service charges or other additional charges authorized by State law or regulation before processing your request. Payment shall be made by cash, check or money order payable to the NJ Pinelands Commission.
- Requests with estimated fees exceeding $25 may require a 50% deposit. Anonymous requests, when permitted, require a deposit of 100% of estimated fees. You agree to pay the balance due upon delivery of the records.
- If the Pinelands Commission is unable to comply with your request for access to a government record, the custodian will indicate the reasons for denial on the request form and send you a signed and dated copy.
- Except as otherwise provided by law or by agreement with the requestor, if the custodian of the record fails to respond to you within seven business days of receiving a written request, the failure to respond will be considered a denial of your request.
- If your request for access to a government record has been denied or unfilled within the time permitted by law, you have a right to challenge the Pinelands Commission's decision to deny access. At your option, you may either file a complaint in writing with the Government Records Council (GRC) located in the Department of Community Affairs or institute a proceeding in the Superior Court of New Jersey. You may contact the GRC at (866) 850-0511 or (609) 292-6830 or online at www.nj.gov/grc.
- Information provided on this form may be subject to disclosure under the Open Public Records Act.